All you need for a Skype interview is a microphone and a webcam. Skype is a free download and offers the ability to interview around the world. Skype offers a way to create a great first impression. You want to take your Skype interview seriously and make every effort to treat it like a real interview that captures the interviewer's attention. You can check with your Career Services Offices to see if they offer a space for Skype interviews.
Top 10 Tips for a Successful Skype interview:
- As if meeting in person, create a great first impression.
- Maintain direct eye contact throughout the interview.
- Be yourself – relax, smile, and let your personality show through.
- Treat a Skype interview as a real face-to-face interview.
- Practice on Skype before the interview.
- Speak slowly and clearly and set the sound on the microphone so it’s not too loud where it will create static.
- Create a background that’s warm and inviting and not too busy or boring.
- Check lighting so it’s adequate and not too bright which will close down the iris on the webcam.
- Be sure to sit up and maintain a straight posture.
- Dress for success as if it were an in-person interview.
Have you done a Skype interview? If so, please let us know how it went.