Fidelity Investments is a large company with over 40 diverse business units that offers a wide range of career opportunities as well as a number of summer internships for students who are interested in pursuing a career in finance.
One of Fidelity’s goals is to provide interns with the knowledge and skills that will take them beyond the classroom and offer them practical experience in the investment community.
Fidelity has 10 regional offices and 150 Investor Centers across the United States. They offer a range of opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students. In addition to internships Fidelity offers some co-ops, which are full-time positions lasting between four and six months and may be available for college credit. Most internships through Fidelity are offered primarily in the summer, but some year-round opportunities do exist.
The Fidelity Summer Series allows interns a chance to meet with Fidelity executives, learn more about the company’s philosophy and how it operates, explore opportunities within the various business units, as well as get an opportunity to network in both a professional and social setting. In addition there are also volunteer opportunities available with Fidelity Cares which allow interns to donate their time to various causes within the local community.
- Jersey City, NJ
- Merrimack, NH
- New York, NY
- Smithfield, RI
- Covington, KY
- Jacksonville, FL
- Raleigh, NC
- Westlake, TX
- Albuquerque, NM
- American Fork, UT
- Salt Lake City, UT
Internship Pick of the Week:
Technical Internship, Summer 2013
Locations: North Carolina, Texas, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Massachusetts
The internship description reads: “As a technology intern, you will be immersed in a rich technical experience where you will work hands-on with technical architects, senior leaders and your intern peers. In addition to real work experience, The Intern Program also provides personal/career development opportunities that include a robust summer series of events and various networking opportunities across the organization for the duration of the internship assignment.”
To apply for a Fidelity internship, students must:
- Be currently enrolled in a Bachelor of Science degree program in Computer Science/IT related degree or other major with a technical minor or concentration
- Be a matriculated student returning to college in Fall 2013
- Although not required, prior internship experience is a plus
All applicants must possess the following knowledge and skills:
- Ability to break down and creatively solve problems
- Flexibility and adaptability at applying skills to different situations
- Eagerness to learn and continuously improve
- Proactively seek out new challenges
- Good listener and collaborator
- Ability to effectively cope with ambiguity
- Pay close attention to detail
- An understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle & OO programming concepts is a plus
- Basic foundation in OO design
- Understanding of Relational Databases
- Experience with relational DB access, SOAP or REST services in Java a plus
- Basic SQL and/or UNIX is desirable
The financial industry is a place where internships in the field are a must. As a college student it is imperative to get an internship in or related to the field and preferably completing more than one. To learn more about job opportunities available through Fidelity, you can visit their website.