A good mentoring relationship provides new employees as well as interns with a person that can act as a mentor by providing professional knowledge and professional expertise about the field as well as answer any questions about the job.
A good mentor possesses the following qualities:
1. Willingness to share skills, knowledge, and expertise.
2. Demonstrates a positive attitude and acts as a role model.
3. Takes a personal interest in the mentoring relationship.
4. Exhibits enthusiasm in the field.
5. Values ongoing learning and growth in the field.
6. Provides guidance and constructive feedback.
7. Respected by colleagues and employees in all levels of the organization.
8. Sets and meets ongoing personal and professional goals.
9. Values the opinions and initiatives of others.
10. Motivates others by setting a good example.