- I want to get an education that will help me accomplish my goals.
- I want to get a well-rounded education that will help me find the work I love.
- I want to become a better person.
- I want to be able to contribute to the global marketplace.
- I want to prove to myself and my family that I have what it takes to be successful.
- I want to better understand the problems the world is facing today and find a way that I can contribute to solving some of these problems.
- I want to use my creativity to enjoy and help others enjoy the finer things in life.
Across the About.com network, there are many valuable tips offered by Guides to help college students once they've arrived on campus. A number of About.com Guides write about the value of getting a foot in the door through experiential learning and offer numerous suggestions on ways students can gain valuable experience in each of their respective career fields; such as: finance, advertising, music, legal, health; and tech careers while several Guides offer help with career planning, Human Resources, job searching, as well as important information on ""Maintaining Good Health in College". "Making Good Choices" which provides thoughts on weighing your options that can be very useful to anyone faced with uncertainty about what to do and isn't only related to christianity. And finally Dawn Rosenberg McKay touches upon "How to Choose the Right Career", to assist college students in preparing for after college and even in choosing a major.
Mark Kolakowski, About.com's Guide to Financial Careers, talks about opportunities to do virtual internships in finance that makes it easier for students living in smaller communities where there may be limited in the number of internships available. For those interested in careers in financial services, Mark also spells out information about the various types of jobs in the industry. In the article, "College Students Need More than a High GPA," it discusses the importance and the significance of internships as part of the overall college curriculum; and a great way for students to get the relevant experience that employers look for when hiring new college graduates.
Kelci Lynn Lucier, About.com Guide to College Life, posted an article on "The Big College To-Do List". Kelci also wrote an excellent article on "How to Be a Good Roommate" as well as another on "How to Get Enough Sleep in College".
In addition, our About.com Guides, who write on a wide range of topics, offer this important advice:
- 15 Ways to Stay Safe While in College, by Kelci Lynn Lucier, About.com Guide to College Life.
- Stress Management, By Elizabeth Scott, About.com Guide to Stress Management.
- College Drinking Alert, from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.
- How to Save Money in College, by Miriam Caldwell, About.com Guide to Money in Your 20's.
- Lowering the Cost of College Tuition, by Miriam Caldwell, About.com Guide to Money in Your 20's.
- Anxiety in College, by William Meek, former About.com Guide to Generalized Anxiety.
- How to Avoid Too Much Internet Time, by Elizabeth Hartney, About.com Guide to Addictions.
- Experimenting With Weed at College, by Elizabeth Hartney, About.com Guide to Addictions